Hiking holiday at the Wilden Kaiser
The new Tirol Lodge, situated right next door to the Hartkaiser summer cable car in Ellmau am Wilder Kaiser, is the perfect hiking and sport hotel. Hiking gear and handy accessories are available from the Tirol Lodge sport shop!
Tip: Your free Wilder Kaiser guest card includes a hiking bus service and free guided walks.
- 13 summer lifts in the Wilder Kaiser Brixental region, rising to an altitude of 2,320 metres
- 7 alpine adventure worlds, all with walking routes suitable for children
- Free Wilder Kaiser guest card including a hiking bus service and guided walks
- Interactive Wilder Kaiser Hiking Map showing approximately 130 routes
- 700 kilometres of hiking trails in the Wilder Kaiser and the alpine pastures of the Kitzbüheler Alps
- Top 3 family hikes: online selection based on duration, change in elevation and distance
- Top 3 moderate and difficult hikes
- 7 summits: tours to the most impressive peaks of the Wilder Kaiser
- Mountain Sport Week and individual adventures, as booked with mountain guides
- Relaxation at the end of the hiking day in Tirol Lodge’s wellness area with heated outdoor swimming pool and sauna
Hiking holidays for all abilities in Ellmau
Every hiking enthusiast will find exactly what they are looking for in the Wilder Kaiser Brixental hiking region. There are gentle routes, suitable for families with children and pets (many are also suitable for pushchairs). Wander across mountain meadows and through the woods to the rockface of the Wilder Kaiser, or enjoy a scenic walk through grass pastures.
A variety of moderate to difficult mountain hikes will challenge the more ambitious enthusiast. The Wilder Kaiser region is the first alpine area to be awarded the Austrian Hiking Seal of Approval.
- The top 3 family hikes are: Rübezahlschnitzweg in Ellmau; Rehbachklamm in Scheffau and the Lake Ahorn circular route
- The top 3 moderate hikes are: Gruttenhütte circular route, Ellmauer Stone Circle from/to Wochenbrunn Alm; Rübezahlalm circular route from/to downtown Ellmau; Rehbachklamm circular route from/to downtown Ellmau
- The top 3 difficult hikes in the Wilder Kaiser are: the Jubiläumssteig via Gaudeamus Hut to the Ellmauer Tor (partially a summit tour with a descent variant); the summit tour of the Ellmauer Halt starting from the Wochenbrunn Alm; summit of the Going Halt starting from the Wochenbrunn Ellmau
Adventure trails and summer lifts
Join one of the circular hiking routes, adventure paths by lakes and waterfalls, themed trails, hydro-therapy paths, mountain pasture hikes or summit tours which start from Ellmau, Scheffau, Söll and Going. The hiking fun begins with the 13 summer lifts in the Wilder Kaiser Brixental hiking region.
Tip: Why not buy a summer Lift Adventure Pass, available for a duration of 1 to 14 days. The pass allows you to travel on 13 summer lifts and includes entry to all 7 alpine adventure worlds, free travel on the environmentally friendly KaiserJet Hiking and Swimming Bus, as well as many other local offers.
If you are a really enthusiastic hiker, you may wish to arrange a mountain guide to take you on a journey of discovery to the 7 Wilder Kaiser Mountain peaks. Experience breathtaking panoramic views, lonely trails and peaceful places from the Scheffauer, Treffauer/Tuxeck, Ellmauer Halt, Vordere Karlspitze, Hintere Goinger Halt, Westliche Hochgrubachspitze and Maukspitze/Ackerlspitze, here in the home of the Bergdoktor.
You’ll enjoy the experience even more if you arrange a certified mountain guide, who will take care of all things relating to the route, weather and hiking time! You can book your mountain guide at the Tirol Lodge reception.
Impressions Wanderurlaub am Wilden Kaiser
The Wilder Kaiser region has around 50 alpine pasture cafés, snack stations and mountain huts, all ideal for a cosy stop and tasty refreshment. Many of the local specialities are made with produce from the local mountain pastures. Families with children and dogs are most welcome.
The Kaiser Lounge, situated in the mountain station of the Hartkaiser cable car, is a special tip for hikers wishing to enjoy a great breakfast before setting out on their hiking tour, or for those who enjoy relaxing in style at the end of the day. Comfy fatboys, chill-out music and stunning mountain views are all included, but don’t forget to reserve your table!
Holidays in Ellmau am Wilder Kaiser
FAQ’s – answers to the most common questions about hiking in the Wilder Kaiser region
Where can I obtain a Wilder Kaiser hiking map?
An interactive route planner is available online or ask for a traditional paper map at the Tirol Lodge sport shop.
How can I find out the weather forecast for the region?
Click on the online weather page for the current weather conditions in all Wilder Kaiser holiday villages, as well as the weather forecast for the region.
Where can I obtain tips on the best hikes in the Wilder Kaiser?
You can get the best daily recommendations at the Tirol Lodge reception, or from the Wilder Kaiser Tourist Office (Tel: +43 50509 623).
What suggestions do you have for hiking with children in the Wilder Kaiser?
Families with kids will find fun, variety and hiking pleasure at all 7 alpine adventure worlds in the region: Ellmi’s Magic World on the Hartkaiser in Ellmau; Alpinolino in Westendorf; Filzalmsee in Brixen im Thale; Hexenwasser Söll and Hohe Salve; Kaiserwelt Scheffau and Astbergsee Going.
Where can I book my Wilder Kaiser hiking holiday and accommodation?
Tirol Lodge, situated next to the Hartkaiser summer cable car, is the ideal starting point for a hiking adventure without any detours. Relax at the end of your hiking day at the Lodge’s own heated outdoor swimming pool and sauna. Why not send us your obligation free request now!